09 March 2020
These are briefly the contents of the Prime Ministerial Decree dated March 8, effective at least until April 3, 2020
Urgent measures for the containment of the contagion in the Lombardy Region and in the provinces of:
Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini
Alessandria, Asti, Novara, Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Vercelli (region: Piedmont)
Pesaro and Urbino (region: Marche)
Padova, Treviso, Venice (region: Veneto)
- Travel in and out of Lombardy, as well as within it, will only be possible in response to duly verified professional requirements, emergency situations, or for health reasons. Return to one’s domicile, home or residence is allowed.
- People with symptoms of respiratory disease and fever (above 37.5°C) are strongly encouraged to stay at home, limit social contact as much as possible, and contact their doctors.
- Those put in quarantine or tested positive for the virus, but not hospitalised, are strictly prohibited to move from their homes.
Public and private employers are recommended to encourage the use of periods of ordinary leave and holidays; agile work can be applied by employers for the duration of the emergency.
Where possible, meetings must be held remotely.
Educational services for children and educational activities in schools of all levels, including universities, are suspended.
All organized events as well as events in public or private places are suspended, including those of a cultural, recreational, sporting and religious nature, even if held in closed places or open to the public (such as large events, cinemas, theatres, pubs, dance schools, game rooms and discos).
Museums and other institutes and places of culture are closed.
- Bars and restaurants may remain open from 6.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m., but with the manager’s obligation to enforce the interpersonal safety distance of at least one metre.
- Commercial activities other than those referred to above are allowed, provided that contingent use methods are ensured or in any case such as to avoid gatherings of people, taking into account the size and characteristics of the premises open to the public, and such that visitors can respect the distance between them of at least one metre. In the event that the structural or organizational conditions do not allow the interpersonal safety distance of one metre to be kept, the said premises must be closed.
- Medium and large sales facilities as well as stores inside shopping centres and markets will be closed on weekends, and during the week the interpersonal safety distance of one metre must be guaranteed anyway. In the event that the structural or organizational conditions do not allow the interpersonal safety distance of one metre to be kept, the said premises must be closed.
- Pharmacies, groceries and food shops do not have to close during the weekend, but they are still requested to grant an interpersonal safety distance of one metre between customers.
Gyms and sports centres
Gyms, sports centres, swimming pools, wellness centres and spas (with the exception of the provision of essential assistance services), cultural centres, social centres and leisure centres will remain closed.
Places of worship
The opening of places of worship is only allowed with the adoption of organizational measures such as to avoid gatherings of people, and provided that the interpersonal distance of at least one metre is granted. Civil and religious ceremonies, including funerals, are suspended.
Professional Relo would like to inform its clients that Lombardy as well as in the 14 other provinces included in the “safety zone” can be reached by both train and plane. However, travel will only be allowed for proven work-related reasons or serious emergencies”.
It has not been made clear yet how traffic will be controlled. However, in all likelihood, the reason will have to be made known upon boarding at the airport or at the departure station, in order to avoid useless movements and thus the possibility that the citizen may come into contact with other people with no real need therefor.
Compliance with the rules established under the government decree will be ensured by the police.